Yesterday went to my cousin's daughter birthday celebrations. Prior to that, had wanted to bake or prepare something simple for her but was undecided. Finally I did some donuts using one of the recipes I has seen from frenz FPs/Blogs. It's been a long time since I made donuts and the ones I tried before had mashed potatoes in them. However fr yesterday's donuts, I did using Chef Li's recipe. I copied this recipe from Mamafami's FP which she herself got from Mamazieza's FP. Thank you both of you fr sharing this lovely donut recipe yaa.. Btw, from the feedback I got yesterday, most of them liked the softness of the donuts texture. So here is the pic and of course, the recipe! Enjoysss
DONUT (Chef Li)
500 g flour (I used a mixture of plain flour and HK flr)
11 g (1 sachet) instant yeast
25 g margarine (I used butter)
45 g vegetable shortening (eg CRISCO)
40 g sugar (I used 60 gm)
1 small egg
2 tablespoons milk powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bread softener
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
250 g water ~ lukewarm
1/3 tablespoon ovalette (I used 1/2 tsp only)
1/2 teaspoon salt (this one I pandai2 tambah- nak kasi lemak sket..)
1. Sift flour, milk powder, bread softener and baking powder into a bowl. Add in sugar, salt & yeast. Mix well.
2. Add in ovalette and mix well.
3. Next, add in the egg, mix well again.
4. Pour in the lukewarm water a little at a time and knead till the dough is just combined.
5. Add in the shortening and butter.
6. Continue kneading to form a soft, smooth and elastic dough. Leave the dough to rest for abt 15 minutes or till the dough double in size.
7. Roll the dough till about 1 - 1.5 cm thick and cut using a donut cutter.
8. Sprinkle some flour onto a tray and arrange the donuts.
9. Leave the donuts to prove till double the size.
10. Fry till golden brown and coat with either castor sugar or melted cooking chocolate and sprinkle with 100 thousands, chopped almonds, coloured vermicilli or chocolate rice.